Clockwise & COVID-19
Clockwise is actively hiring for this position and will review your application.
We are monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic as the health, safety, and comfort of our community, employees, and candidates remain our number one priority. We appreciate your understanding as we’ve modified our hiring processes during this situation.
Parts of this job description are specific to Clockwise during the CA state & local COVID-19 response.
Who we are
Clockwise is an intelligent calendar system that frees up your time so you can work on what matters. We want to help people escape the chaos of work and find their focus. As the world's first company powering time, Clockwise creates, detects, protects and negotiates Focus Time to help individuals and teams anywhere in the world be more productive at work.
Clockwise is looking to hire a Staff Engineer to join our growing engineering team. We value engineers who build for the end user, find fun in difficult problems, sweat the details, and love pushing code. We're a humble, fast-moving, and fun team building a consumer-centric culture with empathy, authenticity, focus, drive, curiosity, and enthusiasm.
Clockwise is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. We're proud to have the backing of Bain, Accel, and Greylock Partners. Our team has decades of experience from places like Twitter, Asana, Salesforce, Atlassian, Dropbox, Palantir and Google.
Join us as we help the world make time for what matters.
What you'll do
- Help guide the engineering vision that delivers the overall Clockwise experience
- Identify, architect and lead large technical projects across our Back End engineering team
- Advise Clockwise’s leadership team on technological direction and the opportunities and considerations these present to our product roadmap
- Commit, push and review code and mentor both junior and senior engineers
- Anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Work cross functionality to understand needs across the entire business to help us generate and translate even more user value into revenue
- Increase developer productivity by delivering extensible and clean services, systems, abstractions and APIs
- Provide insights and visibility into the ongoing health of our infrastructure, tuning and optimizing systems to set a world class standard for product delivery
- You have served as a Staff, Principal or Distinguished Engineer within a top tier engineering organization
- You have owned and delivered on a complex technical roadmap with impeccable references from former colleagues
- You have strong experience with data persistence and deploying and maintaining large distributed systems which are both reliable and cost effective
- You are passionate about code quality, engineering practices, developer velocity, testing, and automation
- You can lead technical and architectural discussions, pulling in the best ideas, viewpoints, and feedback from throughout the team that is distilled into a strong direction forward
- You communicate well not only throughout Engineering but can distill and explain technical subjects to everyone across the company
- You have a Bachelor's degree (or beyond) in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field and 10+ years of software development experience
Java, Rust, Postgres, Redis, Kubernetes, AWS, Node, Typescript, Relay, GraphQL, and more
Clockwise is currently working remotely in accordance with San Francisco’s “Stay Home” ordinance.
Clockwise is accelerating the comfort & normalcy of remote work for our users as well as our employees. We’ve designed a remote work experience that exemplifies our values-driven culture and velocity by modifying our weekly rituals and adopting new technologies.
The Clockwise HQ is in the South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco; 3 minutes from CalTrain & 10 minutes from BART.
What we offer (non-exhaustive)
- Competitive total compensation package with generous equity
- Premium medical, dental and vision plans
- 401(k) plan
- Commuter & wellness stipend
- Daily team lunches, kitchen stocked with snacks
- Company happy hours, social events, and outings
In the Press
Clockwise helps teams organize (meetings) in a “batched” fashion, so that they occur back to back, preserving as much uninterrupted time as possible on each employee’s individual calendar.
The New Yorker - Cal Newport, “Can Remote Work Be Fixed?”
(T)ry Clockwise, a Google Calendar extension that optimizes your calendar to help you find uninterrupted, focused work time—not meeting time.
The Wall Street Journal - Joanna Stern, “Living the Coronavirus Work-From-Home Life? Here Are All the Tech Tips You Need”
Forbes - H.V. MacArthur, “Effective Time Management While Working Remotely During The COVID-19 Pandemic”
TechCrunch - Lucas Matney - “Accel & Greylock-backed Clockwise launches an AI assistant for Google Calendar”
Product Hunt, Product of the Year 2019 runner-up
Ryan Hoover - “Announcing the 2019 Golden Kitty Award Winners”
What drives Clockwise
Empathy - we work to fully understand our customers and teammates, especially when we disagree
Authenticity - we speak openly and candidly while embracing our teammates’ individuality
Focus - we spend our time deliberately and don’t wait to do the things that matter
Drive - we relentlessly pursue success and aren't afraid to get outside our comfort zone
Curiosity - we seek out opportunities to learn and continuously question how we can improve
Enthusiasm - we love what we do and are excited to share it with the world
Clockwise is looking to build a diverse team of individuals that share our core values. If these values resonate with you, please apply below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.