Wouldn’t it be nice if your teammates could know whether you’re in a meeting, outside of working hours, or heads-down on a project without having to ping them? When you sync Google Calendar with Slack through Clockwise, that’s exactly what happens.
- Syncs your availability to your Slack status automatically
- Gives you a heads-up about what your day looks like
- Automatically turns on Do Not Disturb when you’re unavailable
The quickest, easiest way to sync Slack with Google Calendar (for free!)
If you’re a Clockwise user on Google Workspace, it’s a snap to easily integrate Slack with Google Calendar. Here’s how:
- Log into the Clockwise web app (If you’re not using Clockwise yet, click here to get started for free.)
- Navigate to Connected apps
- In the Slack section, click Add to Slack
- Click Allow to grant Clockwise permissions to view, and perform actions in, your Slack account
- Open Slack and click Apps in the left sidebar
- Search for Clockwise within your own workspace, or find it in the Slack App Directory and click Add
There you have it! You’ve now successfully connected Google Calendar and Slack through Clockwise. Next up, we’ll go over what features you can expect from the new integration.
Hint: Your scheduling workflows will never be the same again!
1. Automatically update your Slack status with Google Calendar integration
When you integrate Slack with Google Calendar through Clockwise, a status-specific emoji will show up next to your name in Slack:
- 💡 = Focus Time (learn more about Focus Time)
- 📅 = In a Meeting
- ⛔️ = Out of Office
- 🌔 = Outside of Working Hours or Before Working Hours
Automatic status sync means you never have to worry about manually updating your Slack status again.
Depending on the meeting setup, you might also see the following emoji 🔕 in accompaniment with any of the above. This lets you know that the person’s Slack notifications are muted.
- 🔕 = Slack notifications are muted
Automatic status updates aren’t the only thing you have to gain from Clockwise’s Slack integration, though.
2. Preview your day’s meetings and events
Every morning, the integration sends you an overview of your daily schedule, right in Slack.
A daily forecast of your meetings helps you prepare for your day. Clockwise informs you of how many events you have, how much Focus Time you can expect, and more. It also notifies you if any meetings have moved.
With Clockwise for Teams, you can have Slack notify everyone daily about your team's availability (e.g. if anyone’s out of office). In your Clockwise settings, head over to the Manage the team tab to turn on your Slack sync.
From here, you can choose which Slack channel to send the update to and what time each day you'd like Clockwise to send the update.
3. Block interruptions with automatic Do Not Disturb
That’s why we built an option to turn on an automatic Do Not Disturb (DND) response. When you’re out of office, in a meeting, in Focus Time, or otherwise unavailable, Clockwise will automatically turn on Do Not Disturb mode, pausing your Slack notifications.
This way, your teammates know when they shouldn’t expect a fast response. It’s especially handy in our current remote work world where you might be collaborating across time zones.
Receive event notifications directly in Slack
As mentioned above, Clockwise sends you a daily forecast of your schedule every morning, right in Slack. But you may also want individual notifications for every Google Calendar event, whether to help yourself be on time, or to have the virtual meeting link (e.g. Zoom link) right at your fingertips in Slack. Here’s how to set it up with Clockwise:
- In Slack, open the Clockwise app
- Click on the Home tab, then select Settings
- Validate your settings
- Once your Clockwise settings are validated, install the Google Calendar app to your Slack workspace
- Click on the Home tab, then select Settings
- Validate that Daily Schedules and Status Sync are turned on
- Select Notification Preferences for the email that matches your Clockwise account
- Set Event reminders sent… to a time that reflects how soon ahead of an event you wish to receive a meeting notification
- Set Event updates to on
- Click Update
Good news for Microsoft users
Soon you’ll be able to experience the Clockwise magic for Outlook calendar! Join the waitlist at getclockwise.com/microsoft.
Syncing Slack with GCal through Clockwise can make your work life easier in at least three ways:
- It uses automation to instantly update your Slack status with your availability.
- It offers you and your teammates a preview of your day and your team’s day.
- It kills unwanted interruptions for deep focus with Do Not Disturb.
If you have any questions or feedback, please email us at email@example.com.
In the meantime, read our guide to the perfect project kickoff meeting.