Do you remember your first day of high school? Maybe you didn’t know how to get to your next class or felt out-of-place walking into the cafeteria. The first day at a new job can feel similarly stressful — despite being a few years older (and wiser) than when you started the 9th grade.
A new hire might not know what to expect in terms of company culture or how to find their way around the office. A simple gesture like leaving a welcome letter on their desk or sending a team message in Slack to welcome and introduce them to other team members can go a long way.
In fact, according to a recent survey by Glassdoor, a good onboarding process improves new hire retention rates by 82%. Although the onboarding experience encompasses more than a welcome note, these types of gestures help new team members feel valued and seen from the moment they start working with you.
What to say to welcome a new employee?
When you welcome a new employee, your message can do a number of things. You can let them know you’re glad they’ve joined the team, help them understand the work culture, or tell them what characteristics you value in them. Whether you send them an email or give them a handwritten note, keep it short and sweet.
Let them know you’re excited they’re there with phrases like:
- “We’re so glad you’ve chosen to come work at [company name]”
- “We’re excited to get to know you and work alongside you.”
- “Congratulations! You’re going to be an amazing addition to this team.”
Set expectations for the work environment and describe the team culture by saying:
- “We believe you’ll fit right in with our values of hard work and innovative thinking.”
- “I’m glad to have another member joining our creative team.”
- “Please reach out to me or others with any questions you may have — we value teamwork and want to be there for one another.”
Encourage them by letting them know what characteristics you see in them:
- “I think you’ll fit right in with the rest of the team — like you, they’re hard-working and goal-oriented individuals.”
- “I’m excited to see how you use your expertise and innovative thinking to help us reach new heights!”
- “As a creative and passionate individual, we’re excited to see how you impact your team.”
This welcome message is something you can give them on their start date. Don’t worry about topics like benefits, dress code, or the minutiae of their job offer — those are details they can learn through looking at the employee handbook or by talking to human resources.
Your priority is to help take away a few of those first-day jitters by welcoming them with genuine warmth.
How can you make a new employee feel welcome?
Making a new employee feel welcome goes beyond a Slack message or welcome note, but those small gestures can make a big difference. As they say, “You only get one chance to make a first impression.” Consider including company swag or another small welcome gift alongside the good wishes on their first day.
Start making new hires feel welcome before they ever “clock-in.” Reach out to them during the window of time between their acceptance of the job offer and their first day to ask if they have any questions. You might send them helpful documents, introduce them to other team members on LinkedIn, and get them set up with any apps your team uses.
Many new hires have second thoughts about joining the team between receiving the job offer and their first day working with you. Especially in a tight labor market, another company may approach them with an offer, or they may have personal reasons. Stay on their radar and let them know that you’re looking forward to having them join the team before they ever step foot in the office.
When you do a good job answering questions and providing resources leading up to a new colleague’s first day, your day-one welcome message doesn’t need to be long or detailed. Just make sure it conveys welcome wishes and that you’re looking forward to establishing a good working relationship with them.
30 welcome messages you can send new team members
Be yourself when sending a new employee welcome message! Whether you send a welcome email or write a handwritten note, infuse it with your personality — whether that’s more buttoned-down or goofy/friendly. A thoughtful welcome helps a new team member feel wanted and included in what’s happening.
Here are some ideas for some warm welcome wishes. Feel free to use them as a template for a personalized welcome note for new coworkers.
- Welcome to [company name], [employee name], we’re excited to have you here as part of the team! You’re an awesome addition, and we’re thrilled for the fresh perspective you’ll bring to the table. Situating yourself as a new member can be challenging, so please reach out with any questions you may have and know that we’re glad you’re here.
- Welcome aboard! We had a lot of great applicants for this role, but you really stood out from the crowd — I believe your expertise and personality will really help us reach new heights.
- Best wishes on your first day! We’re so glad that you’re part of the team. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions that may come up. As a team, we’re excited to have you with us and happy to help you adjust to this new environment.
- [Employee name], we’re so glad to have you as part of the team here at [company name]. Your skill set and expertise are going to be an amazing addition to the team.
- Welcome to the team [employee name]! We’re so excited to have you here. The office is providing lunch today so you can get a chance to meet the whole team!
- Congratulations! You’re joining an amazing team that works hard to find innovative solutions. We wish you all the best as you embark on this new journey with us!
- We’re so excited you’ve decided to join [company name]! We believe you’re going to be a valuable asset to our work here, and are so excited to get to know you as we work on exciting projects here together.
- Dear [employee name], we’re thrilled to have you as a new team member. You really stood out during the interview process as a go-getter and creative thinker, and we believe you’re the missing part of our team that’s going to help us do amazing things.
- Congrats! From the dozens of qualified applicants, you really stood out as an innovative and hard working person. We know the first day at a new job can feel a little overwhelming, so please know that we’re here for you and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Happy first day in your new position! We’re so glad you’ve decided to become a part of the [company name] family. Your skill and expertise are going to help us reach new heights.
- The management team here at [company name] want to wish you a warm welcome. Please let us know if there are any ways we can help you as you get acclimated to the new role.
- The day has finally come — after the long search, we’re so excited to be able to officially welcome you to the team. Your warmth, skill, experience, and creativity are exactly what we were looking for, and we can’t wait to see the way you’ll impact our team and the work we do here at [company name].
- It’s so exciting that you’re here! Ever since we met you, we’ve been hoping and looking forward to having you join our team. Can’t wait to see what you and your team here will accomplish!
- You’re joining an amazing team of creative, kind, and highly skilled individuals. We hope your time here is filled with inspiration, fun, and innovation.
- Warmest welcome from the management team here at [company name]. You’re a great addition to this team and we can’t wait to reach new heights together.
- This team has been serving the community in amazing ways for over 10 years. We’re so excited to have your fresh perspective and insight that we believe will help us accomplish great things.
- Warm welcome from the management team here at [company name]! We’re excited to get to know you and see how your years of expertise are able to help us reach new heights together.
- One of our highest values is teamwork, and we believe you’re going to be an amazing addition to our team! Please reach out with any questions you have and we hope you have an amazing first day.
- Here at [company name], we have many talented, skilled individuals. We believe you’re the perfect fit to join us as we tackle new projects. Your expertise speaks for itself, and your team player attitude made you the exact person we were looking for!
- Dear [employee name], we’re so glad you’ve accepted our invitation to work with us. We look forward to seeing the ways in which you’ll help us reach new heights here at [company name].
- We’re so fortunate to have you with your optimism and willingness to learn join our team! Hope you have a great first day — the entire team looks forward to getting to know you better.
- Congrats on your new position! We’ve been looking forward to having you join us and can’t wait to start collaborating on projects.
- Welcome to the team! We here at the management team are confident that you’ll be an amazing addition to [company name].
- The recruitment team did an amazing job hiring a creative, compassionate, and innovative individual — you! We’re glad you’re here and look forward to working alongside you for many years to come.
- Happy first day! Please reach out if you need anything and know that we’re delighted to have you here.
- Dear [employee name], we look forward to having your years of experience and insight join our team and help us as we move into this new season of growth with [company name].
- Our team just got significantly better! We’re glad you’re here and look forward to having your go-getter attitude and willingness to learn join our dynamic team.
- Hey there! It’s great to have you as part of the team — we’re going to reach new heights together.
- Happy first day at [company name]! The recruitment team really struck gold when they found you. We can’t wait to start working together — please ask any questions and let us know if there’s anything you need as you settle in.
- Congratulations! We’re glad to have you with us at [company name]. You really stood out from the competition and we think you’ll be the perfect fit for our team of dynamic individuals.
Remember to use a warm welcome message to let new employees know you’re glad to have them with you and look forward to working together with them. Thoughtful welcome wishes can have a strong impact and set the tone for your time working with a new colleague.
Feeling valued and seen can improve employee engagement which can help boost your team to the next level.