How to use ChatGPT for time management
We’re all aware that time is our most valuable resource. Whether you're a product manager juggling multiple deadlines or a freelancer balancing client work and your personal life, effective time management is essential for staying on top of your game. This is where ChatGPT comes in. This powerful language model developed by OpenAI can help you streamline your workflow, boost your productivity, and achieve your goals with more ease.
In this blog post, you’ll learn:
- What ChatGPT is and how it works
- 2 ready-to-use ChatGPT prompts to help you with time management — today
- The plugin you need to take ChatGPT to the next level
Let’s dive in!
What is ChatGPT and how does it work?
ChatGPT is an advanced language model created by the artificial intelligence research company, OpenAI. As a language model, ChatGPT is designed to understand the patterns between words, phrases, and sentences (a.k.a. language). It can then respond, in a natural-sounding way, within the context of the conversation.
Along with being a language model, ChatGPT is also a chatbot, which means you interact with it through a messaging interface.
What does a language model have to do with time management?
Ever since ChatGPT came out in 2022, you’ve probably been bombarded with buzz around its ability to answer questions, draft copy, and even write code — all of which are text-based use cases. The question is, Can ChatGPT go beyond words and actually *do* things for us? Can we get ChatGPT to schedule meetings, update spreadsheets, publish blog posts, and more?
The answer is yes. With the proper setup, you can turn ChatGPT into your own personal assistant — and it’s all thanks to the newly-released Zapier ChatGPT plugin. The plugin allows you to connect ChatGPT to any of Zapier’s 5,000+ compatible apps. Here are a few possibilities of the types of actions ChatGPT can perform on your behalf:
- Add a new card to a specific Trello board and list.
- Add a new row to a specific row in Google Sheets.
- Create a new draft in Gmail.
- Send a direct message to a specific person in Slack.
- In Google Drive, move a file from one folder to another.
- Create or update an event in Google Calendar.
You may be asking, Why use ChatGPT to schedule a meeting for me? It’s all about workflow optimization. Most of us rely on several apps to do our jobs, and it can be inconvenient to switch between our various tabs and windows. The plugin optimizes your workflow by making various actions accessible through one platform: ChatGPT.
Setting up ChatGPT for time management
Here at Clockwise, we’re obsessed with time management, and we believe automation is the name of the game. The Zapier ChatGPT plugin is the smartest way to use ChatGPT for time management because it harnesses the power of task automation.
The biggest downside? The plugin is currently being rolled out to ChatGPT Plus users only. If you’re looking for a more convenient way to manage your time with AI, try out Clockwise.
Step-by-step guide on how to set up ChatGPT for time management
Follow the below instructions to install the Zapier ChatGPT plugin:
- Log in to your ChatGPT account
- In the Model drop-down menu, select Plugins
- In the Plugins drop-down menu, select Plugin store
- Find Zapier, then click Install
- Log in to your Zapier account
- Click Allow to authorize access to your Zapier account
ChatGPT for scheduling
By itself, ChatGPT can’t schedule meetings or appointments on your behalf. But with the Zapier plugin, it can. After you’ve installed the plugin (see instructions above), set up a ChatGPT action specifically for creating new events in your calendar app.
- Go to the saved ChatGPT actions page
- Click Add a new action
- Search for your calendar app (e.g. Google Calendar, Outlook)
- Select an action (e.g. create a new event, update event)
- Select, create, or reconnect a connection
- Complete the fields
You’re all set! Next, we’ll cover ways you can use ChatGPT on its own for time management.
Using ChatGPT for time management
ChatGPT for task management
Task management is all about planning, organizing, and tracking your tasks in order to achieve specific goals.
ChatGPT can help you plan out your day, based on the information you give it. For example, if you’re a fan of time blocking, input your to-do list and ask ChatGPT to generate a proposed schedule. You can tell it to prioritize your most important tasks or even ask for specific characteristics like 30-minute increments.
You can also ask ChatGPT to break down your tasks into smaller, more manageable tasks.
To recap, here’s how to use ChatGPT as a time management tool:
- Input your to-do lists and ask ChatGPT to plan out your day or week
- Give ChatGPT a list of to-do items and ask it to break them down into subtasks
- With the Zapier ChatGPT plugin, ask ChatGPT to schedule or update an event in your calendar
Keep in mind that ChatGPT and other similar AI tools can only provide useful responses based on the inputs they receive. Depending on the result you’re looking for, it may take a few tries and follow-up messages. If you’re looking for an AI-enhanced calendar experience without all the typing, consider Clockwise.
Next up: Read how to use ChatGPT for calendar optimization and check out Clockwise AI.